2nd Lieutenant, Tank Corps
Geoffrey Askew lived at 62 Drewstead Road, Streatham and attended Alleyn’s until 1907. He joined the war effort at part of the newly established Tank Corps which was formed after the development of the British tank in 1916. During the war, he served overseas in France and Flanders as a Company Tank Engineer with 10th Battalion. As part of the Tanks Corps, Geoffrey provided essential firepower and support for the advancing British Infantry in major operations on the front. He proved his dedication to service on March 25th 1918 when, in the heat of battle, he went to great lengths to ensure that all available tanks were mechanically fit for service. He was later wounded when he joined the attacking infantry after his tank was put out of action. He was reported as missing after the fighting ceased and later confirmed as dead. He is buried at Arras Cemetary. For his actions on March 25th he was awarded the Military Cross.